As regulatory battles rage over data privacy and monopoly laws, we often think of Silicon Valley and Washington D.C. as separate worlds. Yet nothing could be farther from the truth. Historically, technologies like silicon chips and the Internet were rooted in huge government investment, leading to America's ascendance as a technological and military superpower.
In this episode of Rebuilding Government, I’ll be chatting with DJ Patil—an expert on public-private cooperation on technology. He was former Chief Data Scientist of the U.S., where he pioneered national data initiatives across precision medical care, police transparency, and national security. DJ is currently the CTO of Devoted Health, a healthcare company serving seniors, and he previously built the first Data Science team at LinkedIn.
Based on his wide-ranging experience, DJ has a real empathy for the challenges that these different sectors face in using technology for social good. We chat about his pathway to public service, what data ethics can learn from medicine, and advice for college students seeking a high-impact career.
*Find us on Twitter @RebuildingGovt and your host @jasminewsun.
- DJ Patil on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Medium @dpatil
- Precision Medicine Initiative https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/precision-medicine
- The 5 Cs of data science https://medium.com/@dpatil/ethics-data-science-ff21d0c29346
- Tuskegee syphilis experiment https://www.cdc.gov/tuskegee/timeline.htm
- Henrietta Lacks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrietta_Lacks
- Nuremburg Code https://history.nih.gov/research/downloads/nuremberg.pdf
- The Power by Naomi Alderman
Rebuilding Government is a podcast in collaboration with UNIT Innovations (@unitinnovations) and Teske Media (@teskemedia).