Today on Rebuilding Government, I’ll be chatting with Rachel Dodell, the Executive Director of Coding It Forward, and Nik Marda, a Stanford student and 2019 Civic Digital Fellow, about bringing young technologists into government.
We all know that government technology isn't always the most up-to-date. But it may shock you to learn that only 7 percent of U.S. federal employees are under the age of 30.
The nonprofit Coding It Forward is trying to change that. Their trademark program is the Civic Digital Fellowship, a technology, data science, and design internship program that sends innovative students to DC to solve pressing problems in federal agencies.
We discuss the birth of Coding It Forward, government hiring, and how a stint in Washington offers incomparable experience for the mission-driven student.
Find us on Twitter @RebuildingGovt and your host @jasminewsun.
- Find Rachel on Twitter @rdodell and Nik @nrmarda
- Coding It Forward: https://www.codingitforward.com
- Civic Digital Fellowship interest form: https://www.codingitforward.com/fellowship
- PICTURE grant proposal: https://inspire2serve.gov/_api/files/343
- The Techlash Has Come To Stanford, Slate https://slate.com/technology/2019/08/stanford-tech-students-backlash-google-facebook-palantir.html
- Weapons of Math Destruction, Cathy O'Neil
Rebuilding Government is a podcast in collaboration with UNIT Innovations (@unitinnovations) and Teske Media (@teskemedia).